In my first post, I talked about the difficulties I was having with teaching my preschoolers Christmas songs for their Christmas pageant. Now it is quickly approaching, and the head teacher has asked me to teach them even more songs!

I had thought it was unrealistic to try to teach them many songs, with "music class" once every two weeks, and they had difficulty paying attention at first because they couldn't remember from two weeks ago. The head teacher finally realized it was important to practice every day, and that problem was solved.

We had an activity making jingle bell necklaces to go with our main song (Jingle Bells). While the kids kept pulling their necklaces apart, they really enjoyed playing (with) the bells while they were singing, and it made what became an hour of learning Christmas songs more bearable. I even managed to squeeze in another activity with the bells, practicing "crescendo" and "diminuendo" as we rang our bells and moved (normally this is a favorite activity that involves movement).

Adding these activities made the lessons more bearable for the kids, but there were still several behavior issues. I really question the head teacher's desire to teach the kids NINE Christmas songs when we had been working on TWO. Practicing every day helps now that she finally realized they need reinforcement, but I honestly don't see the value in teaching these kids songs they will sing once a year as entertainment for their parents (in my opinion, singing holiday songs should be a family, friendship, or religious activity, and being forced to "speed-memorize" doesn't really teach the kids anything).

However, we are singing the "Do(e) A Deer" with our Kodaly hand signs. Although this is purely to show the parents what the kids are learning, I am proud that I can show these techniques to the parents. Using the Kodaly hand signs allows the kids to sing advanced harmonic and melodic patterns that people would normally work on in a middle-school choir.

I know lots of you have dealt with difficult bosses. Let's commiserate! What are your stories? How do you DEAL with it?