For quite some time now I have been wanting to take my kids to the art museum but have not because I was not sure that it was a "family friendly" environment. Over the weekend we got adventurous and took them to the Dallas World Aquarium and then to the Dallas Museum of Art! They were both firsts for our family (I have been to the DMA many times before just not with a 2 1/2 year old and a 14 month old). Here is my review from the early childhood perspective:

The Aquarium was a really amazing place, I had no idea we had anything like it in Dallas and it exceeded all of my expectations. They even have a Jaguar (I know that sounds weird for an aquarium, but it makes since when you are there)! All of the information about the animals is delivered on large computer touch screens that are interactive so the visitor can learn as much or as little as they like, I particularly loved this feature as did my 2 year old!

The DMA's exhibit "All the World's a Stage" was a hit with my musically inclined little boy and I was really surprised at how much my 14 month old enjoyed finding things in the paintings. She is just learning words, but she was really excited when she recognized things like "doggie." There is a special room for the 4 and under crowd with art toys and books which was a hit with the kids, but I wish it contained actual kid safe art work (either specially commissioned or reproductions of ok to touch sculptures would be fun), it was really just a play room.

I will say I found the Aquarium to be more enjoyable overall, I think it was more "family friendly" but they were both really great experiences.