I loved Joan Miro's art when I was in high school. I considered myself a horrible artist, but as a teen, I really connected to his work. I'm not really sure why, but I think I intuitively understood Miro's sometimes-childlike imagery.

This lesson plan uses Miro's work to help middle-schoolers learn about geometry, describing curved lines, straight lines, and other geometrical objects in Miro's world. Students then create their own objects using what they have learned. My suggested musical work for this activity (to inspire different shapes)? Paul Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphoses. Hindemith and Miro were contemporaries, although their artistic philosophies varied.

Maybe you've seen this fun little interactive area at the MoMA featuring Miro? It's where I got today's image.

What contemporary art have you been surprised to connect with? How do you think students could understand it in order to connect with it better?